Dr. Jeffrey Berti and Dr. Toula Berti specialize in advanced treatment of all skin disorders for men, women and children. In addition, the physicians at Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery, Ltd. also offer a number of procedures for skin rejuvenation and body contouring.
For people with rosacea, managing the skin condition can be a challenge since what triggers redness and inflammation of the skin in one person may not trigger it in another. Yet doing some detective work can help rosacea sufferers discover quick and easy ways to keep their skin calm.
Foods and drinks are common culprits of rosacea flares, specifically spicy foods, hot drinks, and anything that contains caffeine and red wine. Keeping a journal of what you eat and drink and when your rosacea flares can help you discover which foods and beverages may aggravate your rosacea.
Dermatologists offers these additional tips in managing rosacea:
- Don’t overheat. Extremely hot temperatures often aggravate rosacea.
- Protect your face from wind and cold. Covering your face with a scarf helps protect your skin. Just make sure that the material touching your face is not made of wool or a fabric that feels rough to the touch. These fabrics can irritate the skin.
- Apply a sunscreen before going outside since sun exposure can cause rosacea to flare. Look for sunscreens that:
•contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as these ingredients are the least irritating
•have broad-spectrum protection
• have a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 30.
A sunscreen that contains silicone also can help protect the skin and minimize stinging and redness. On the list of ingredients, silicone may be called dimethicone or cyclomethicone.
- Take good care of your skin. Avoid rubbing, scrubbing, or massaging the face.
- When using hair spray, make sure the spray does not get on your face.
- Keep your skin care routine simple. Using too many products may irritate the skin.